The ACTF continues to be a strong supporter of theatre for young children across Victoria. The Foundation commissions (in whole or in part) the creative development of new small scale theatre works specifically devised for children, to the point of being tour ready.
Applications are administered by Regional Arts Victoria in the lead up to each commissioning year, and are reviewed by the ACTF Trustees.
- 2003 – Myths and Legends from Around the World (Knockabout Theatre)
- 2004 – Mixed Lollies (Knockabout Theatre)
- 2004 – The Beat Detective (Big Drum Productions)
- 2006 – A Shared Story (Impro Melbourne)
- 2006 – The Best Little Town in the World (Zeal Theatre)
- 2010 – The Block (Polyglot Theatre)
- 2014 – Spike (Little Wing Puppets)
- 2016 – Balance (Transience)
The ACTF is now taking applications for 2017.
Works must address the following ideals:
- To foster in children a widening interest in the arts and humanity
- To foster understanding between people of different countries and cultures, including the telling of Indigenous stories
- To use theatre to explore and present stories from around the world including those of recent arrivals
Works must meet the following criteria:
- Align with the ideals of the ACTF (see above)
- Reflect a high standard of imaginative and creative performance and current education practice
- Be imaginative and performance -based, which may include elements of storytelling, music, dance and/or puppetry and multi - media (optional)
- Live performance that is of high quality in development and presentation. Artists need to describe the end product they are aiming for and the stimulus they are aiming to provide
The performance should also:
- Reflect our global diverse culture that we live in, be uplifting and promote positive messages for children and young people
- Reflect a sense of humanity
- Stimulate ideas and generate pre and post-performance activities and discussion
- Be suitable for any year level or levels within the foundation to Year 6 (F-6) range (i.e. primary – may include up to Years 7 & 8)
- Be designed to be efficient and viable for touring within the Arts & Education touring model of Regional Arts Victoria – ie. small scale, not more than 3 performers
Please read the 2017 Commission Guidelines found here. Applications are to be submitted via email to: email@example.com with the subject line 'ACTF 2017 Commission EOI' by no later than 5pm Monday 30 January 2017.
Successful applicants will be notified by the end of March 2017.